Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Underworld

So I've picked up a new job on the side working with one of Charleston's premiere catering companies. It was alot of work, but I had a great time doing it. We steamed 40 bushels of both local and Gulf stream oysters, along with preparing a hog and various sides for over 300 people at a fundraising benefit. The job description that was given to me was 'do some cooking, drink their beer, and eat their food.. oh yeh, and get paid while doing it.' Sold! So while I was steaming the last few bushels and listening to Neil from accounting give his rendition of 'Live Like you Were Dying,' it dawned on me that this was the just the type of job I needed. So my new fallback career is professional caterer.. the West Ashley Clown College will just have to wait.

We finished working and got home around midnight, showered up, and decided to go spend some tip money out on the town. Before heading downtown, we stopped by a birthday party a few hours late. Most of the party-goers were passed out, so we helped ourselves to the keg and played a few rounds on their beer pong table.


The Cocky side of me said torch it, but the hosts were waking up so we left before having to make small talk. The bar we went to was rocking it out for one last night before shutting down for good. Since it was their last hurrah, they defied all blue laws and violated basic principles of the major religions. We went in through a side door, and were handed drinks by one my favorite local bartenders. That's when I realized it- I was being sucked into the Underworld of the Service Industry. The Service Industry is very similar to a colony of Vampires. These 'people' tend to sleep the day away, then claim the dark hours of the night as their's. And I gotta say.. I was loving every second of it. The Underworld had an atmosphere the MSS has been attempting to create for over a year now.

I found a few colleagues from my day-life there and after a few rounds, decided to take it up a notch. So I'm at the bar getting handed shots between this girl's legs when one of her fellow dancers slips while pointing to the windows, to the wall. As she falls, she knocks over a cooler full of ice and beer and hits her head against some mini-bottles. She was fine, except for a bruised ego and soaked t-shirt, but that's when they stopped the music and stopped serving. I guess that party foul was the equivalent of killing the Head Vampire.. game over.

6 Comments:

At 3/07/2006 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

seems to be alot of clemson stuff in these photo's. I guess the underworld has gone to the cat's.

 
At 3/08/2006 2:58 PM, Blogger Dev said...

I agree whitehurst, I've always considered Clemson to be part of the Underworld.. it's like South Carolina's very own leper colony.

 
At 3/08/2006 4:03 PM, Blogger Moose said...

I agree as well, I always cringe at the sight of orange, weather it is Tennessee or Clemson. It is all the same, poor orange trash.

the only good thing at Clemson is Tick's little brother, the missing link. I sure hope tick passed the see thought green shirt on to him, to keep the legend alive.

 
At 3/08/2006 4:58 PM, Blogger Dev said...

I forgot to mention that before we started catering, we paid homage to Penny, the patron saint of the Service Industry.

Tick's little brother studying at USC's little brother.

 
At 3/09/2006 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

try 'unemployed-poster-child'. you want a roomie? go find me a job you jerk

 
At 3/09/2006 3:29 PM, Blogger Dev said...

I found two if you're still in 'anything but a career' mode. Interested? Gimme a call.. might not be coherent for the next couple of days though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home