Sunday, February 12, 2006

Karma, baby!

It seems like there is always one killer month each semester in my grad program. Last year, it was Red October. This semester's troubling month is known only as 'February.' I've been going through the motions of studying all day.. made a trip to the library, washed some clothes, and picked up some milk. As is usual on Sunday cram sessions, I decided to go pick up some dinner around 7:45 so I could come home and catch The Simpsons. So I went by Jason's Deli and since I was feeling that I should eat something healthy, I only ordered half of a beefeater and their soup. (For the soup, I chose their Texas chili. What else?) I felt the need to order quickly, because this guy was picking up an order for his family and was hovering around the cashier.

Let me take a moment and make sure this is clear: I am not turning the SoD into one of those 'I took a shower today at 7:25AM and picked up a iced chai for breakfast' type of banal, narcissistic blogs. There is a point to this, and if you'll let me continue, you'll see it.

'Ok sir, if you'll just have a seat I'll call you when it's ready.'

Damn, 7:53 already.. it's gonna be tough to make it back for the show. Come on people, how long does it take to melt some cheese over a pound of meat?

'Your order is ready,' said the cashier as she handed me two bags.

What's the point of putting the chili in its separate bag? And furthermore, if we're going to segregate side items, why aren't the pickle and the potato chips in their own bags? Well, I guess the potato chips are in their own bag.. damn, maybe I should get a 'script for some Adderall.

So anyway, I make it back around 8:05. No big deal, it's a rerun anyway.. I can recite any dialogue I've missed. I open bag #1 to find a sandwich, pickle, and chips. I open bag #2 to find 2 more sandwiches, 2 pickles, and 2 bags of chips.

Shit, they gave me that guy's order. What do I do now? Do I drive back there on my nickel, miss my television show, and totally throw off my study schedule? Will the guy even be there? What if Jason's Deli just made him some replacement sandwiches? Who loses in this situation? The Jason's Deli stockholders? ARE THEY EVEN INCORPORATED?!

I decided to keep the mistaken sandwiches, and to keep stellar karma, I gave my roommate one. So while I ate this starving family's honey-mustard drenched turkey sandwich, I realized that good things do happen to good people.

And if you scoff at this, check this old post. That should show I have some type of emotion. Well, it shows that atleast I am aware of the emotions of others and can, at the very least, empathize with them.. which is all I would want in return.

16 Comments:

At 2/13/2006 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought you said there was a point.

 
At 2/13/2006 1:15 AM, Blogger Crummy said...

Surely mr. wty, there was a point to the story. No matter what you may think, our blogmaster did explain that he has feeling for someone else. He gave his roomie a sandwich, as honey-mustard soaked as it may have been.

Also, stay tuned to my political post this week, as we all hope the damn politicians don't make it easy for me.

 
At 2/13/2006 8:37 AM, Blogger Moose said...

the dev-il himself has a conscience, Charleston has changed you dev. In the old days you would have put the extra sandwich in the back of your car, waited two month’s till the honey mustard had fermented into some kind of funk, and then you would have shared it with your roommate.

 
At 2/13/2006 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're no daisy.

 
At 2/13/2006 4:37 PM, Blogger Dev said...

Hah, remember the time I found that leftover sandwich from Just Fresh that had been sitting underneath a seat in my car for like a month? I think I ended up splitting it with Brace. I remember the mayonaise had a sweet tang after a spending August in my car.

Also, let's not forget all the added 'bonuses' I used to add into Penny's meals.

 
At 2/13/2006 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good point lj...i still cringe when i think about the growths on our beloved spool sophmore year. that table had more funk than tick after bad takee outee

 
At 2/13/2006 4:38 PM, Blogger Dev said...

wow, speak his name and he appears..

 
At 2/14/2006 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of fowl creatures I heard our 40 year old virgin tick has a girlfriend. Not change the subject of how devilish dev really is. As a valentines treat I remember all the times dev has tried to ruin people’s relationships. I might even have to right up a Dev-il story about how he almost ruined a relationship with one word. Not that will be a treat, check out www.leftoverhotdog.blogspot.com for all your Dev horror stories.

 
At 2/14/2006 3:43 PM, Blogger Dev said...

I have no idea what you're talkin' about Cupid, but it makes me feel 'awkward.'

 
At 2/14/2006 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dev, putting shmegma in my food? moi? hell, anythings better than broken glass in my bed from your failed attempts to murder skipper

 
At 2/14/2006 7:42 PM, Blogger Dev said...

Guys, I appreciate the stroll down memory lane.. but can we stop derailing my (promising) future political career. I'm trying to paint a pretty picture for the internet losers.

 
At 2/14/2006 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey remember that time you tried tocut off your own thumb? the only good thing that came out of that was it finally made rishi wash his sheets.

 
At 2/15/2006 10:07 AM, Blogger Moose said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2/15/2006 10:10 AM, Blogger Moose said...

Another miss communicated story, Dev wasn’t trying to cut his thumb off he was trying to kill Crummy and I. And his thumb got in the way of the blade stabbing his friends. Now that is karma baby.

 
At 2/16/2006 1:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i heard that gaston thought karma had caught up with him, but it turned out to be jock itch.

 
At 2/16/2006 4:38 PM, Blogger Dev said...

that *zing* was brought to us by wty..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home