Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Methy Grill

I'm gonna revisit one of my old posts, Crystal Steph. I know I previously mentioned that crystal meth has such a cool name, but after working on a few patients that are (former?) meth users I'd like to tell my faithful readers to stay clean.

A few weeks ago I assisted another student with a patient. After talking for some time, the patient told me how he used to be heavy into drugs, including crystal meth as his DOC. Even after being clean for a few years, there were still signs of meth mouth and a lengthy list of restorations needing to be placed. I felt bad for the guy, even at the rates the school charges (about 1/10th of the rates in private practices) this guy will still be spending a fortune on teeth that have an uncertain prognosis.

Recently, I was examing one of my patients and found similar decay. He's younger than I am, admits to good oral hygiene (which I believe after the exam), and is a smoker. I didn't ask much about his social habits though. I'll be treating his extensive needs for the next two years and will eventually have to bluntly ask 'are you on crank?' I just didn't think it would be appropriate during the first appointment. It's a shame, because even with good homecare this kid could be edentulous before the next World Cup.

Anyway, I have to agree with Jodie Sweetin on this- meth ain't cool.

6 Comments:

At 6/28/2006 1:10 PM, Blogger justacoolcat said...

I have a childhood friend who got caught up in the meth craze and let me say the teeth are the least of the problems. At one time he was intelligent and coherant, then after years of meth abuse it seems like he lost a good 30 I.Q. points.

 
At 6/28/2006 5:54 PM, Blogger Dev said...

Just aim and take the kill shot..

 
At 6/29/2006 9:29 AM, Blogger Moose said...

Dev, forget meth, we have to fight off all the bad yankee's that are bad mouthing Ronaldo. With his big nose and giant heart he can will his way to making the knicks the worst team in Basketball

 
At 6/29/2006 3:59 PM, Blogger Dev said...

I agree.. it will be interesting to watch Balkman bring the concept of defense to the NBA

 
At 6/30/2006 10:51 AM, Blogger Moose said...

Dev,
Chap would have been a furry snack for this guy

http://www.wcsc.com/news/state/3249511.html

 
At 6/30/2006 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

u really need to blog more...and don't let wty post anymore!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home