Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Movies: Pirates of the Caribbean, et alii

I caught Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest this past Sunday and let me tell ya, I thoroughly enjoyed catching up on some sleep during it. This 150 minute sequel to the Legend of the Black Pearl fell to the Curse of the Sequel. Too much time was wasted incorporating old characters. The plot was complicated. Keira was extensively clothed. It wasn't nearly as action-packed as the first part of this trilogy. Johnny Depp gave another great performance as Captain Jack Sparrow, but unfortunately he couldn't overcome the sluggish story. At one point I almost decided to walk around the theater in hopes to catch the end of an Owen Wilson "comedy." Racking up $135 million, Dead Man's Chest did break the opening weekend box office record though.

One big plus for Pirates is that this trailer previewed before it. It leaves you wanting alot more, but if that teaser doesn't get you fired up then I feel sorry for your childhood.

X-men: The Last Stand was a flop to me also. But I'll save it from a lashing since the former director of that trilogy, Bryan Singer, decided to leave the movie right before filming in order to bring us the latest Superman movie, which I'm scheduled to catch later this week in a 3D IMAX experience.

6 Comments:

At 7/11/2006 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heads up ... I thought Superman Returns lived up to the hype. Let me know what you think!

 
At 7/12/2006 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I slept thru the first "Pirates" movie, to be honest with you (even though I wish Johnny Depp would've gotten the Oscar). And while I don't put much stock in the critics' reviews, "Dead Man's Chest" has gotten ripped across the boards.

If you watch the new "Superman," as I have, and then watch the old ones on HBO on Demand, as I have recently, you will realize that Brandon Routh can't hold Christopher Reeve's jock, much less his red weenie-bikini.

 
At 7/12/2006 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just popped 38 boners after watching the Transformers trailer.

 
At 7/12/2006 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/spider-man_3/medium.html

 
At 7/12/2006 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry...here it is

 
At 7/13/2006 3:25 PM, Blogger justacoolcat said...

I also thought Superman Returns was worth every penny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home