Sunday, April 16, 2006

College Megavenues

Check this link that lists the top 20 largest college football stadiums. Seven of them belong to SEC schools. Williams-Brice is listed 18th (80,250), right ahead of the University of Texas's Royal-Memorial stadium (80,082). The picture of Willy B is pretty flattering as far as attendance goes, but ya gotta capture the claws when shooting our stadium.

So here are my opinions..

Most over-rated: This superlative has to go to our friends from the rocky top. Tennessee's Neyland Stadium is the largest SEC stadium seating 104,079. Keep in mind that the space they allocate for each seat is about half of any other stadium, leaving you knee deep in your Tennesseean neighbor's cellulite. Let's just say you get to know these folks pretty well:


Quietest: My vote here would have to go to Alabama's Bryant-Denny stadium (83,818). Who knows, maybe the Bammers were just suffering from Quiet Afternoon Game syndrome during the trip I made down there.

Ugliest: Wow, somehow Texas A&M's Kyle field (82,600) managed to steal this award away from the asymmetrical valley of our upstate friends. What the hell were they thinking? I'm gonna guess the 12th man isn't an architect.

Best Design: I'm gonna have to crown Florida State's Doak Campbell stadium (82,000) with this one. That brick architecture encompassing the stadium is impressive. I've never been there, but it looks like they have plenty of green space for tailgating along with some highways to accomodate their traffic.

6 Comments:

At 4/16/2006 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Davey, havent you made it to Athens for a few games? As much as I love Sanford, it is by far the quietest stadium I have been to. Thought you might agree. The open endzone along the bridge let's out all the crowd noise. Bryant-Denny though was not as loud as I had expected either. Student section was rocking, but the rest of the crowd was pretty quiet. Actually reminded me of Georgia that way. So what is the loudest stadium that you been in? I would say Jordan-Hare in Auburn for me. Although, I havent really been to that many opponent's stadium, so you can take that for what it's worth.

 
At 4/17/2006 12:04 AM, Blogger Dev said...

Vash-
The Dawgs make Sanford hostile enough in other ways without noise.. atleast for opposing fans. I've seen plenty of games in the Classic City, although I'm usually focused more on my massive hangover in the August/September heat than anything else. The Cocks haven't justified a trip to Jordan-Hare yet, but I'd like to witness it. As far as loudest, I'd have to go with Neyland (I gave it over-rated because of the cramped seats). Keep in mind I haven't visited LSU or the Swamp (going this year). I'm also headed to Vandy this year, but doubt that will affect the rankings much.

 
At 4/17/2006 1:05 AM, Blogger Crummy said...

My vote goes to The Swamp. I would say that it was endless noise for 4 quarters in the rain. Those walls are cheating though. Not to mention the fact you are watching your team become "Gator Bait" as the fans sing along with their damn chompers going.

I would also have to say that The Horseshoe at The Ohio State gets louder the lower in the bowl you get. Also, the fans are ruthless, but not usually towards the other team (unless the team up north is visiting). Sorry, had to put in a non-SEC team.

 
At 4/17/2006 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I would have to say Death Valley in Baton Rouge is the scariest place in the SEC. Drunken Cajuns and Katrina refugees are not the friendliest people in the southeast. One guy walked up bit his beer can and shot gunned the beer in tick's face, and then tossed the can at ticks feet. The upper deck was still pretty loud with half the fans leaving when they started kicking our tail a couple years ago.

On different note, Dev don't think you can make up for gamecock fan statues by trying to go to road games. You have already lost your fan card, by missing the Clemson baseball game, where I had you a free ticket. Than the spring game, scared of the rain, and now you are going to every away game. Man o man

 
At 4/17/2006 12:18 PM, Blogger Dev said...

Never had a problem at Tennessee, their program prides themselves on being good hosts and for good reason. I've been there several times and enjoyed both the night before and the gameday. Heck, one year a couple of UT fans sold me tickets for under face just because they hated all the scalpers that were around their stadium. We ended up talking about how much we both disliked Clemson.. they got bonus points for that.

As far as UGA Bill, I guess I must always be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Whether in Athens or Columbia, the UGA game is pretty intense just because it's an early SEC showdown. The Dawgs are usually favored by about 50, but deep down they know not to take the game for granted.. and that usually manifests in their behaviour. I will give them props for punching Penny's friend Jay.

 
At 4/21/2006 6:36 PM, Blogger tigertails16 said...

I think I see a slight bias in this blog. I know I'm a little late in the game here but I just wanted to point out that the loudest, most bad ass stadium, the real Death Valley, was ranked 15th and if my Clemson math serves me right that would be 3 better than USC...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home