Saturday, April 15, 2006

Cocktails: Mad River Bar and Grille

One of Charleston's newest hotspots is the Mad River Bar and Grille which is located on Market Street in between the Purple Tree Lounge and the Market Street Saloon. I've frequented this bar a few times over the past 2 weeks and have mixed feelings about it. It seems the staff and owners need a lesson in manners. Everytime I've been there it's been a clusterfuck, which isn't their fault. I've never been a fan of limiting occupants due to fire codes, and I guess the noise in there helps elminate any attempts at cellular pinging. The Mad River is a bit pricey too, which I assume is to help out with the startup costs and its location.



On the other hand, the walls and booths are covered with plasma televisions. The fact that they renovated an old church with high ceilings makes it virtually smoke-free. Their promotions manager gave me the hard sell about their private room with porch area, which is an ideal venue to rent out for graduation parties, engagement parties, and even for sporting events (reminder: football season starts in one week).

Final thoughts: It's a great place to meet up with people for a few drinks, but I wouldn't plan on hanging out there for too long. It has plenty of tvs that are perfect to watch Wimbledon on, but I wouldn't trust the place during football season.

Rating: 2 beers out of a six pack

3 Comments:

At 4/16/2006 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For those of us in Cola town - please provide an equivalent rating on your system. For example, Wild Hare -

 
At 4/16/2006 4:30 PM, Blogger Dev said...

I don't know much about Wild Hare, except you can get just about anything for a quarter. From what I remember about the capital city, I'd give both Liberty and Chubby's 4/6.

 
At 4/17/2006 9:10 AM, Blogger Moose said...

Don't forget the Pub on the frink, might be a 5/6 for whole in the wall bars.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home