Monday, November 21, 2005

Dealing with the Public (Part I)

So I'm at the grocery store and this lady in a motorized wheelchair drives up next to me and she has this dog in her lap. I don't really think anything of it, we are in South Carolina afterall. So anyway, I continue to debate on which chew toy to get for my dog and this lady is idling in her wheels next to me. Then the manager comes by, and tells this lady that there are no pets allowed in the store and she responds, 'it's not a pet.. it's a service animal.'

That left me wondering, what type of service does this terrier provide?

Clearly, she isn't blind so it's not a seeing eye dog. Her go-cart of a wheelchair moves her, so it isn't used for locomotion.

Maybe the dog helps her pick out groceries?
Maybe it can smell when the peaches are ripe?

And while I'm sitting there debating all of this, she gets up out of her wheelchair and grabs a pack of paper towels off the shelf. I immediately gave her a triple-take topped off with a head-scratch.

I wanted to tell her, 'lady, if you're gonna pretend to be disabled.. just pick one and stick with it.' Don't go around pretending to be a paralyzed, blind woman who needs a seeing eye dog for her go-cart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home