Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Sullivan's Island Dangers

On Sullivan's Island, there is a small channel between the beach and the sand bar. So after a few drinks, we decided we had to swim the 80 yards to the other side. The water level was up to our necks. This was pretty frustrating, because down the beach on either side kids were crossing with no problem. I think I stepped on a crab or two along the way. So anyway, we're almost to the sand bar when I look up and see this fin surface. Automatically, LJ and I swam back to the beach as fast as we could (or atleast as fast as we could while holding a beer). We told the girls we were with that we had seen a shark, and of course that was just met with a lot of sarcasm.

So a few hours, pitchers of margaritas, and horseshoe games pass by when we see a fin come up on our side of the beach. We go to take a closer look, and it's a freakin 4' hammerhead shark. Lucky for it, I didn't have my harpoon with me.


Anywho, I did some more research and I think this shark was actually a bonnethead shark. These sharks, Sphyrna tiburo, feed mostly on crustaceans and swim in small channels. Another uncomfortable fact I found is that they rarely swim alone- they are usually in groups of 3-15.

5 Comments:

At 9/08/2005 2:16 PM, Blogger Moose said...

Twice in one summer, I know for a fact the first time when we were at Folly beach this summer that the guy caught a hammerhead, because he looked like a guy that knew about sharks.

 
At 9/11/2005 11:52 PM, Blogger Cracker said...

Too bad it didn't bite you in the crotch. Then you'd just be "DIESEL". I hope Ophelia hits you.

 
At 9/12/2005 9:10 AM, Blogger Moose said...

With the recent hurricane disaster in the Gulf region of the United States I would hope that you wouldn’t want Ophelia to hit the Coast. Granted America will bounce back better and stronger then ever, just like after 9/11. Making Canada look even more like a giant Vagina.

And on a different note, that shark wasn’t looking for fight that day, he know that Dev and I were ready to kick some Hammerhead ass. Second time in one summer, I was prepared to choke-slam that shark.

 
At 9/12/2005 5:54 PM, Blogger Dev said...

The return of the Canoodles..

Yall gotta remember, people as tough (Drinking-Wild-Turkey-straight tough) as us don't really get scared by an occasional shark or tropical storm.

 
At 9/12/2005 8:40 PM, Blogger Cracker said...

Dude, I'm a meteorologist. I know the difference between a hurricane like Ophelia, and one like Katrina. And yes, I was joking. For the record, we Canadians are down there helping out, and we're being stopped by the american bureaucracy from providing aid because our medics "aren't licenced to practice in the States". Nice work geniuses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home