Monday, July 25, 2005

The Black Cat becomes the White Whale

So I was taking my dog on one his many walks one evening when I noticed a black cat stealthily walking behind some bushes. Normally, I would have kept walking so that I wouldn't get 7 years of bad luck, or bartonella henselae, or whatever it is those vile creatures carry. But something made me stop and stare at this thin, black cat that could possibly answer to the name Rick. Maybe it was the flyer on my mailbox that said they were missing a cat named Rick that was particularly thin and completely black. Yep, there was something about this cat alright.. I just couldn't place it. So I tied my dog to the nearest tree and decided to approach this cat. Keep in mind, I dislike cats alot. In fact, I think someone really messed up when they decided to domesticate these predators, but I'll save that for a future discussion (Cat People, Dog People, and Why One is Just Better Than the Other). Every time I get close to this cat, it darts away to another area in the bushes. I call its name.. it runs away. I dangle some string.. and it runs away. I shoot it with a BB gun.. and it, just kidding.. I don't have a BB gun yet. Anywho, so I call up the chickie from the flyer to let her know I found her cat and she is ecstatic. Unfortunately, she is ecstatic at work in Mount Pleasant and won't be back until late. So I told her I would do my best to get this cat for her. After doing my best for 5 more minutes, I realized how late I was to pick someone up for a movie.

Fast forward a few days..
I get home from work and am taking my dog out for a walk, when I notice a black cat staring at me from a drainage pipe in my driveway. So I take my dog back into the house and come back out to negotiate with Rick. Just like before, Rick isn't budging. I eventually threw a rock into the pipe to scare the cat out, but after getting pelted it just ran away it some nearby woods.

Skip to last night..
I'm driving home around 3AM, when my white whale darted across street forcing me to hit the brakes. I feel like there has been some type of role reversal here, that I've gone from being the predator to the prey. The cat is obviously toying with me and now I can't stop thinking about it. I promised the owner I would catch this cat for her, but now I'm determined for personal reasons. I'll be back with updates.

6 Comments:

At 7/27/2005 9:18 AM, Blogger Moose said...

buy a BB gun

 
At 7/28/2005 8:20 PM, Blogger Dev said...

I wouldn't need one if Crummy would give me that buck knife back..

 
At 8/02/2005 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we tried that once remember? But you couldn't be trusted.

 
At 8/03/2005 10:26 AM, Blogger Dev said...

I'll cut you good!

 
At 8/09/2005 9:50 AM, Blogger Moose said...

I think I saw the buck knife the other day when I was moving out

 
At 8/31/2005 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

get a traquilizer gun, not only should it solve your current problem but there coudl be lots of fun household applications

 

Post a Comment

<< Home